Saturday, June 17, 2006

Emissary from the Sea

Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)

I have been feeling a little down in the dumps this week and today particularly so. But, it was a hot and beautiful day so I decided to go down to the ocean, to an area that I've been wanting to photograph. I literally came around a corner and found this pelican sitting on a railing. I kept waiting for it to take flight but it let me approach. When I got about five feet away, I became fearful (these birds are BIG) so I stopped.

It was almost as if this magnificent bird had a message for me, but I don't know what. Look at that expression! Does anyone understand Pelicanese? Anyway, I felt very much encouraged after the encounter.



Image: L Gloyd (c) 2006

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Hi Lori,
First of all I'm sorry you've been down...it's been a long month hasn't it?

But look at that picture! It was like that Pelican is saying, " ah, there you are..."

I like that kind of confidence ;-)

Anita Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home