Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Red Shoes

Some people might say that only a woman could write poems about shoes. Actually, I find most shoes uncomfortable, and only wear them when I have to.
But I love the shoe page at Soul Food, and the red stilettoes suggested another character entirely:

When life bites
I have my red shoes.

My beautiful, sexy, expensive red shoes.
I got them in a sale, so cheap, my dear!
Fifty per cent off and if you saw the original price
You’d just die.

Mischa was so jealous of my sexy red shoes
She almost fell off her Blahniks.
She has a shoe-drobe bigger than Guatemala, darling,
Every box labeled with a picture
Of the shoes on the front.
She takes coordination very seriously.

She’s always directing you to her feet
Showing off the latest pair –
It makes me want to pop out her champagne colored eyes
And drop them in her Martini.

But she just stared at my sexy red shoes, my dear,
And her eyes popped out all by themselves.

So now when life bites
I put on my red shoes.

Only another woman would understand.

1 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What fun Gail. I love the Red Shoes activity and always had students do it. Some of the original pieces are still on the Student Forum but Bravenet is impossible because if you go there you get constant pop ups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home