Saturday, August 12, 2006

Auffer the Children- finale

PART 6



He felt the first ticklings of the girl’s Change arriving, and began to send a matching response. Every moment he was awake he kept thoughts of her in his mind’s eye.


As he was out and about of an autumnal day he stumbled across her scent, ripe and compelling, he began to follow this to the source. At last he saw her, from the way she held herself he could see the worry and doubt in every line of her.


She looked at her latest meal, she had enjoyed every drop, without thought of the younglings. Agitated to the point she was unaware of her actions, she involuntarily hissed at the secrets within the shadows.


The urge rose in him, primal and insatiable, and he fought it down with great effort. He truly enjoyed his time with every female who had accepted his advances, and he was determined to make their time something to be savoured.


There was a quality of childhood games in the suit, advance and retreat, innocent touches. While all clan members could witness the courtship, the consummation would be private and remain so.


But, he must gain her acceptance, and trust, in time for the Change. Her scent grew stronger, and his own desire led him to her Home.


She stood in an open space, alone and aloof, her head tipped back. There were three other men in attendance already, yet two hissed before leaving in frustration.


The one that was left, locked eyes with him, it was perhaps two breaths and the third looked away in defeat, then slid into the shadows.


She turned to him, her eyes were as intense as an Elder’s and an air of distraction swirled around her. “How did they, and you, find me, and…”


“It can’t be that Time yet, I still have younglings to feed!!” Her voice was desperate, the cry of the hunted.


“I want to help.” He offered proof in food, good and fresh, enough to feed them for days.


They were gaze locked, and motionless, then she turned her hands palm up, as the Laws prescribe.


“I accept your Suit.” She would now be with him until her first birthing was survived, and she had enough help without his presence.


Then she would have the option to accept or refuse his suit again. After three acceptances they were legally an accepted pairing.


“Now, my dear, give me nibbles then let us feed the younglings until they fall asleep feeding.” The traditional nibbles were barely hard enough to draw blood. Their blood was mingled, and they were now engaged in the fashion of their People.

He began to feed the younglings with the confidence of experience.



She looked at the younglings, slurping their food greedily. With a sigh of relief she buried her fangs in her scarred wrist and then offered it to the nearest mouth in the writhing cluster of youngling Vampyrs, in the thicker larval sacs their only truly recognisable feature was their gleaming fangs.

1 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Gwen M. Myers said...

Steph love, thank you!!! I had such fun writing it, and thinking of how I hoped people would enjoy it.

I have had a couple of poems published by vanity press-type outfits, the sort where if you want a copy of the book you have to buy it. But to have a work accepted for publication, there were the two articles at Associated Content and that is it

I don't know if this counts as publication, but, once upon a time I went to a rally for then-candidate Jimmy Carter.

The rally was being held in my hometown, Flint, Michigan. I was sketching, and my semse of humour took over.

I drew a big peanut, with President Carter's face on it. I had barely finished it and a rather large and imposing Secret Service Agent appeared at my shoulder.

"May I see that?"

'Ohmigawd!! Am I in trouble now!!' My brain started spazzing frantically. "Y... yes..."

I handed him my sketch pad, he studied it for a breathless moment.

He smiled briefly. "This is pretty good!! Mr. Carter will like it."

Off he went with my drawing, and I stood there, frozen in the idea that someone wanted my artwork.

He was in due course elected, and it went from 'a person' wanted my artwork, to 'The President' has a piece of my artwork.

As far as other works, I have around 15 novels at various stages of completion, as well as some ideas that are but a sentence or two. I have an enormous folder of old, old, old poetry I labelled, "Poetry so bad it could be considered a form of torture"!!! I also have ideas for 2 animated series, one a post-apocalyptic sort of tale, the other is a comedy called "Matt About Town". Something about a man whose cat was abducted by the Aliens...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home